The VHND‘s Eric Senich talked with Eruption: Conversations with Eddie Van Halen authors Brad Tolinski and Chris Gill for an exclusive, in-depth discussion of Eddie Van Halen’s legendary career!
Throughout the interview Tolinski and Gill give their insight and opinions on a wide range of EVH topics including:
- Eddie’s childhood days overcoming his shyness
- His relationship with his older brother Alex
- Discovering and revolutionizing the electric guitar
- Securing his place in rock history as lead guitarist of the biggest band in the world by the mid 80s
- Proving the doubters wrong during the Sammy Hagar years
- The post-Gary Cherone “dark years” in the late 90s into the 2000s
- Eddie’s return to the stage in 2007 and studio in 2012 with David Lee Roth
- Wolfgang Van Halen’s importance to Eddie’s return to music and getting clean and sober
- Going out on top with Van Halen’s final tour in 2015
The interview was in conjunction with Eric’s podcast Booked On Rock with Eric Senich, which is devoted to books on rock music and the authors who’ve written them. Listen to the entire interview below:Listen to “Episode 26 | Brad Tolinski & Chris Gill [“Eruption: Conversations with Eddie Van Halen”]” on Spreaker.
Back by popular demand, copies of Eruption: Conversations with Eddie Van Halen by authors Brad Tolinski and Chris Gill are in stock and shipping NOW. Order direct from Van Halen Store to get your copy of this must-have for every Van Halen fan.
Copies of the book left the Van Halen Store fast and furiously after its release in October and that comes as no surprise. Co-written by Tolinski, former editor-in-chief of Guitar World magazine, and Gill, former editor-in-chief of Guitar Aficionado, the book is a new oral history of Eddie’s life and career, drawing from more than 50 hours of interviews with the guitarist himself, as well as interviews with his family, friends, and industry colleagues.