Van Halen Update 7/13/11

The return of Van Halen draws near, but the details are still unclear. The Van Halen News Desk wades through all the rumors on the ‘net so you don’t have to! Here’s this week’s news/rumors on Van Halen:

1) ALBUM & TOUR RUMORS:
Melodicrock.com reports that a “known and trusted source close to ground zero” says that Van Halen’s US tour will commence in NOVEMBER and that it is likely that the band will stay on the road thru the next Northern summer (mid-2012) with the tour taking in Asia, South America and Europe (watch for the band to possibly headline some festivals in Europe 2012). They also hear that the album is still being mixed and they are betting on the album dropping in October.

2) AND ANOTHER ONE’S HEARD IT! Morgan from the band Sevendust (who are all huge VH fans) has heard at least some of the unreleased Van Halen album and said, “It’s fucking killer. Eddie hasn’t sounded this good since Balance. Dave’s voice sounds great. Alex is absolutely bombastic.”

Ross Hogarth On New Van Halen Album: 'The Band On Fire'3) ENGINEER SAYS VAN HALEN IS ON FIRE: Producer/engineer Ross Hogarth recently spoke to Ultimate-Guitar.com about his work on the new Van Halen album; “The whole VAN HALEN record has been recorded and we’re all excited,” Hogarth said. “We have just started mixing the record. I’m really stoked about it, as it is the original band, Eddie [Van Halen, guitar] and Alex [Van Halen, drums] with Wolf [Eddie's son] playing bass, and David Lee Roth singing, it’s the killing side of VAN HALEN at the top of their game again with Diamond Dave, and the band on fire.”

4) OFFICIAL SITES UPDATED: The official websites for both Van Halen and David Lee Roth have finally been updated, but don’t get too excited–the only change is that they both show nothing but the following graphic promoting the band’s 5 Australia concerts in Sept & Oct:

Van Halen Soundwave Revolution Festival 2011

• Halen High

jeff adams says:
    “Who do you watch, Ed or Dave? That was always tough @ the live shows.”

There’s a few Aussies, me included, who will soon face the same dilemma – for the first time.

• hikerman

Halen High, there both great singers with a lot of attitude,Dave was a great showman in the old days and a lot of fun to watch, But people my age closing in on 50 grew up and like Sammy’s show just the same, Eddies great but remember he’s nothing without Sam or Dave

• DreamIsOver

Anyone who denies that Van Halen became a better band with Sammy are fooling themselves. Who really thought that VH were going to go back to sounding like 1981 again? This new album will sound like Van Hagar with DLR singing. Mark it.

• Rhymes

I want Dave playing the harmonica again! One of Daves most musical moments was on The Full Bug, by then I mean instruments. He played the acoustic intro and the harmonica solo. It got a bluesy feeling of it, I hope VH got something bluesy on the new album :)

I tip thy release the album before they tour. But you never know, it’s Van Halen :)

• stano

Saw Van Halen 5 times from 82-93! Incredible band live! I also remember riding my bike to the local pharmacy and buying the first VH album, i was around 16 i guess. just mesmerized by the Album cover and inside sleeve. couldn’t understand somebdy’s guitar playing like that. it was too alienated. Bombastic, brilliant, and tough as an American tank. Would love to see them again. maybe they’ll bring out Mikey for a few tunes sometime. I bought the hardback book Van Halen: A Visual History 1978-1984 by Neil Zlozower. If don’t have, its a great book w/ plenty of suberb pics and plenty of reading. I can’t believe how many famous guitarists and iconic frontmen said they remember what they were doing when they first heard VH(like what u were doing when man landed on moon or when Kennedy was assinated). I mean Rob Halford, Ronnie James Dio, Lemmy, Slash, Paul Gilbert, Warren Di Martini, Zakk Wylde, Scott Ian, Steve Lukather, Les Paul, and on and on!

• Diamond Dean

@Valen
    Yr spot on , good call

• Let’s Rock

Ken_A

I far as I know or have ever read or ever heard, Mark Stone was in Mammoth with Alex, Eddie and Dave.

Mammoth became Genesis which became Van Halen. Stone was replaced by Mikey somewhere between Mammoth and Genesis. By the time the band took the name VH, the members were Alex, Eddie, Dave and Mikey.

Mammoth never produced a single or album. It was a club band.

Is there an proof that this is not true? If so, please let me know.

The Nation Waits

• http://www.theluxurykings.com Jungleland2

Gave Balance a new listen (first time in a very long time, maybe since it came out) and there are some very cool musical moments on it…and it’s got a huge sound. I would like to retract my comment about this record being “weak”. If Ed sounds this good in 2011, we are in for a treat.

• jeff adams

Halen High – Have a great time @ the VH show, and let us know how it was. ” LOOK @ ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TOOOONIGHT”

• Panama Red

@ Jungland2 – Here, here my VH brotha. I guess my idea of having an unwritten rule that we should listen to Van Halen (specifically the album or song(s) in question)
    before/while posting comments really is a good idea.
    Y’know, a lot of the time when an article about VH gets posted here at VHND it’s picked apart and the writer gets labeled as not knowing his ass from a frankenstrat. But at the same time, some of these same people that bash the writers say equally disagreeable or even more outlandish things about VH here. All I’m saying is, listen to the music first, Feel it, then write about it. That’s all. The music is what matters to us. It may affect us in different ways, some specific VH songs may have a bigger impact on some of us than others and that’s how it goes for every song. It’s acknowledging that fact and respecting it and then having a good time regardless of everyone’s differences. The music is what really matters, not so much our opinions, ya know?

• Let’s Rock

Panama Red…

Agreed.

Many should go back and listen to Balance and VHIII and take it for what they are; pure Van Halen.

Most great groups go through a 3 to 5 album period of great music (IMO: Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc.). The outstanding group do maybe 6 or more (Lynard Skynard, The Rolling Stones, etc.) but the best of the best, keep it up for many more (Van Halen, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, etc.).

Do not bypass any of the VH albums just because someone on VHND has posted that the album sucks or Sammy blows or Gary cannot carry a tune. They all, 11 and counting, have damn good stuff on them.

The Nation Waits

• Mike c

People on this site keep saying the album will sound like van hagar. Come on people!! Really? The album is goingto sound like VAN HALEN!! End of storie! does everything have to be a Dave Sammy argument? Van halen has put out 11 of the best albums ever no matter who is singing! Some people just need to be greatful that we still have these guys entertain us!! VAN HALEN = VAN HALEN does it matter who is singing?

• Halen High

DreamIsOver says:
    “Anyone who denies that Van Halen became a better band with Sammy are fooling themselves”

Crikey – a lot of people must be fooling themselves. The Van Hagar albums or their live performances are never cited by other artists as an influence. Other than a few highlights, Van Halen went into a long creative decline with Sammy. There’s nothing wrong with people appreciating Van Hagar, but let’s not blindly elevate that era to something it never was.

• Sparks in ’11

DeamisOver- “This new album will sound like Van Hagar with DLR singing. Mark it.”

And when your wrong, let us know the temperature of the dunk tank water, will ya?

I’d say maybe 4 of the 12 or so VHIII tunes sounded like Van Hagar. The rest was either a departure or a reach back to a more classic sound. Now that 13 years or so have passed since that release and rumors are flying high about early demo riffs resurfacing in some way, I’m bracing for a most satisfying blend of the ferocious classic attack of the past and the unknown element of surprise from the now. If anything, it may be a calculated move to specifically sound nothing like ’86 to ’96 as sort of a “let the music do the talking” response to someone and his wonderful book. But hey, my guess is as good as anyone elses.

• jeff adams

Mike c, I hear what you’re saying VAN HALEN = VAN HALEN, but for my listening ears it’s Dave and only Dave that belongs in VAN HALEN. I’ll never argue the Sam/Dave thing cause there is no arguement, a few like Sam, and the rest love Dave.

• Halen High

Sparks in ’11 says:
    “I’m bracing for a most satisfying blend of the ferocious classic attack of the past and the unknown element of surprise from the now.”

Perfect!

• Mike c

Jeff Adams, I’m with you. I absolutely love Dave but, I have no problem kicking back and listening to Sam once and a while. Actually love both of the van halen eras. But Dave blows Sam out of the waters any day no Doubt abot it! To me van halen = van halen no matter if it’s Dave or Sam. But vh with Dave = THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!

• Herb

@jeff adams

Not spit hairs man, but I don’t think the math is quite right. I think 99% of us are totally on board with Dave at the helm. A boatload also liked Sam, and like where he is.

• Herb

Not to split hairs….sheesh that came out A.F.U!

• hikerman

Lets Rock thank You, Sammy Van Halen rocks and so does VH3

• Halen High

Mike c says:
    “does it matter who is singing?”

It does for many people because the interchange of lead singers helped cause a dramatic change in the band. Dave and Sammy are very different animals. Dave’s vocal style, lyrics, energy on stage, creative influence on their visual identity and general approach gave a completely different dynamic to Van Halen.

• Mike c

Halen high I understand that Dave is the absolute man and i rather listen to van halen with Dave! The stuff they produced was just Down right amazing! I love Dave with van halen and nothing will ever top van halen w/Dave at the helm. I’m not saying I love Sam but I don’t dislike him listenig to SOME STUFF Sam did with van halen. I understand that people are going to debate this no matter what. I just don’t get it, if ur a huge DLR vh fan and u like some of sams stuff why do people lable you as a van Hagar fan?

do you understand what I’m trying to get at now? lol

• Eddie Van Wailin’

I agree with Sparks here, I think you’re gonna see a mix between a classic sound, a bit of VHIII and some new spin on the tunes. There will be minimal Hagar years influence.

If you listen to the 3 new tracks on Best of from ’04 they sounded like III to me with Sammy singing, not at all like Van Hagar.

I think Dave’s influence will help to blend more of a classic sound in, but it will ultimately be heavy on some new sounds from Eddie as well. Keep in mind, you’re talking about 16 years since Balance and a lot longer than that since 1984. Eddie’s reinvented himself in the past, I expect him to do that this time as well but with Dave around to tactically guide the ship (which wasn’t there on III).

• http://None Dirty Duck

mike c.

The reason for the labeling is because they are two completely different bands…with two completely different sounds. Classic VH fans, like myself, believe that VH was a monster when VH with hagar was almost like an unwanted apology…

• Halen High

Mike c says:
    “do you understand what I’m trying to get at now? lol”

Hey Mike – absolutely! I also like a few Van Hagar songs, mostly on a musical level as I don’t dig Sam’s vocal style and lyrics, but there are 7 or 8 I like enough to listen to now and then. I think of a Van Hagar fan as someone who actually prefers Sammy-era VH over Classic VH.

As far as the Sammy bashing goes, most of it is in response to his attitude and comments over the years, regarding CVH. When Dave quit, I wanted Van Halen to go on, find another frontman and be as great as ever. Although I was disappointed with 5150, I still bought their albums and hoped with each release they could find what they once had with Dave. Then in the early 90s I started noticing Sammy’s derogatory comments about CVH’s live shows and Dave. That was it for me. Everybody knew we were settling for second best since ’86, and here he was disrespecting the real deal. I thought he was being ‘anti-Van Halen’ and started seeing him as an imposter who was attacking ‘our band’.

It doesn’t mean Van Halen fans hate Sammy, but there is a lot of anger towards him. But it’s only rock n’ roll – we can’t take any of it too seriously.

• Diamond Dean

Musically VH3 was very VAN HAGAR , 100% , gees it didnt sound musically like VH2 or WACF did it now .

Its probably a better album then OU812 or BALANCE , bar the extremely bad production n strained vocals

• Carnal Knowledge

How in the hell do you know if the Van Hagar years DID or DIDN’T inspire? If bands like Shinedown, and Nickelback, and Alter Bridge cite Van Halen as inspirational, why do you assume it’s only the ‘Dave’ years, or ‘Classic’ years? Sure, they like the classic years. But, I bet they were very young during the Hagar years, and somewhat influenced by them. Whether you care to admit it or not, Hagar definitely extended the life of the band. Maybe not to your liking, but selling out arenas for 10 years and putting out 6 albums during that time (LWAN included) is impressive. Look what happened to the next era…the VHIII era died a quick death. Did the Hagar era die a quick death? No. Because he was good.

Does that mean he/it/they were better? Hell no. So, lighten up broham. Van Halen is not about fighting, remember? Leave that up to Motorhead…….

• hikerman

Year to the Day is a great song off of VH3, You have to listen to that cd a whole bunch before you realize that it’s a pretty good CD, and there a few more really good songs on that CD

• Halen High

Carnal Knowledge says:
    “Halen High, seriously. I can’t tell if you’re really really old, like 80, or seriously young, like 15.
    How in the hell do you know if the Van Hagar years DID or DIDN’T inspire?”

LOL, I’m in my mid 40s. To answer your question, if any band or artist was influenced by Van Hagar, I’ve never read or heard one state it publicly. On the other hand, every time I have EVER heard or read an interview in which an artist cites Van Halen as an influence, they always say “Classic Van Halen”, or “Roth era Van Halen”. There may be a few, but obviously no-one significant enough to notice. There is nothing controversial about this claim – it’s widely recognised that Van Halen was at its creative peak from the 1970s to 1984.

Carnal Knowledge says:
    “selling out arenas for 10 years and putting out 6 albums during that time (LWAN included) is impressive.”

But only four studio albums and one of those, OU812, is often derided by many Van Hagar fans. And don’t forget, 5150 was already written, musically, before Sammy even joined them.

As far as selling out arenas is concerned, the Balance tour was not a sold-out tour and it was the first time they started to stuggle to sell tickets in some markets, although the attendances were still solid enough overall. But they had lost almost all of their appeal overseas, and were reduced to supporting Bon Jovi in England. When they were selling out arenas, Sammy had little to do with it. Van Halen had a very large and loyal fanbase that was still supporting Eddie, Alex and Mike no matter who was singing, and they were trading on the ‘legend’ to a large degree. You know my opinion on Sammy, if they had toured here in ’86 or ’89, I would have been there – to see Eddie.

• Carnal Knowledge

The next time I saw them in ’98, maybe 5 thousand people.

You can dislike Sammy all you freakin want. But, don’t infer or make up shit. Sammy sold out arenas, even in ’94. Cherone couldn’t do it. If it’s all Sammy’s fault, then wouldn’t their live shows have been in front of 3 people by the year 1995?

Why you continually deride Hagar is beyond me. I figured you’d be happy that the era was over, done, gone bye-bye. But, no. You have to lecture every single person about the precious ‘Classic’ years.

How can you be a Halen fan if you actually dislike a majority of their music?

• Halen High

Carnal Knowledge says:
    “Dude. I’ve had enough of your lecturing. I saw the ‘Balance’ tour, which happened in year 10 of the Van Hagar years. I saw two shows and both were filled to the rim. SOLD OUT. Yeah, maybe they gave away some tickets to fill out the show. But, whatever.”

The Balance tour was not a sell-out. And when talking about the history of Van Hagar, don’t forget to include the disastrous 2004 tour, when most of their shows only sold about 40%-50% capacity (and many of those capacities were reduced to cut costs, so some of those shows were only 30% of real capacity). If you look at the Van Hagar era, 1986-96 and 2004, it represented a long, slow decline.

Carnal Knowledge says:
    “If it’s all Sammy’s fault, then wouldn’t their live shows have been in front of 3 people by the year 1995?”

I’ve said many times here, it’s not all Sammy’s fault. Eddie was running the band from ’86, he wrote the music, he allowed Sammy to dish up those lyrics and he continued to work with a guy with whom he had no chemistry. But a lot of people still went to their shows just to see the legendary Eddie Van Halen and, to a lesser extent, Alex and Mike.

Carnal Knowledge says:
    “Ne’ermind. Talking to Roth’ers about Van Halen minimizes the discussion to 6 albums. Well, Van Halen has officially released 14 albums and one VHS. Yet, you “hardcore Halen fans” only want to praise the first 6. How can you be a Halen fan if you actually dislike a majority of their music?”

Two completely different bands. That’s why a lot of people call them Classic Van Halen and Van Hagar. And it’s about being objective – not just blindly saying everything they ever did was great because they still call themselves ‘Van Halen’. And Van Hagar only released four studio albums so 60% of Van Halen’s music is Dave era. Live CDs and videos are just different versions of the same music, other than covers.

• hikerman

Halen High, you must be HIGH, Sammy with Van Halen did really well, all the shows in Phoenix always had large crowds of Real Van Halen fans, lots of fun, the 2004 tour in Phoenix was a sellout too, Dave is great and cannot wait for Van Halens return to the Desert here in Arizona and hope the play Spanish Fly and DOA

• Halen High

hikerman – I’m glad you love all eras of the band. There was also a time when I was buying everything they released and one of my closest friends is a 100% Van Hagar fan. But we can’t start re-writing history based on blind loyalty. Whether we are Sammy fans or not, we can all enjoy the music, the dramas etc while still keeping it real. If a Roth-fronted tour was a failure, I would say so – not try and claim it was a huge success. The 2004 tour was a disaster, both in terms of ticket sales and reviews. The band recorded some of the worst attendances in their history. The Pittsburgh-Gazette did an expose on the tours of 2004, and descibed Van Halen as “the poster boys for blockbusters gone bust”.

• Halen High

hikerman says:
    “Year to the Day is a great song off of VH3.”

WE AGREE ON SOMETHING!!! That is a great song.

• hikerman

Thank’s Halen High, I’m sure this next tour is gonna be great.

• DreamIsOver

Add the minutes of Van Halen music up and Sammy was at the mike for more of it. Not that it matters. The thing certain people don’t get is Van Halen with either vocalist is a rock and roll hall of fame band. thank god I love all VH because a lot of you are missing out.

• DreamIsOver

• Halen High

DreamIsOver says:
    “Oh and Halen High, 5150 was not written before Sammy came along. Elements of Summer Nights and Get Up were. Not the whole album.”

Yes it was. And the band had already finished recording about the half those songs. Eddie has also talked about Dave refusing to sing on other songs for 5150 – probably refering to Love Walks In and Dreams.

DreamIsOver says:
    “The thing certain people don’t get is Van Halen with either vocalist is a rock and roll hall of fame band.”

The Hall Of Fame only wanted to induct Classic Van Halen. Sammy kicked up a fuss with his manager and insisted on being included.

• http://www.vhnd.com Dick Richardson

Ed has had problems with substance abuse,addiction/alcoholism issues, health issues-we’re lucky he’s still with us. Maybe he doesn’t need triggers like touring/recording to put him over the edge.