Roth/Hagar Tour Thoughts
April 18, 2002 -
Rather than write yet another summary of the Dave and Sammy press conference (you can
read plenty of them from journalists who were there via the links to the right),
I thought I'd just jot down a few thoughts I've had in the days since...
* They may be touring together, but Dave and Sam still like to do things
their own way. Dave turned up to the press conference accompanied by a dwarf
dressed up to look like Andy Warhol. The
Dahm Triplets, dress in skin-tight
yellow outfits were also by Dave's side. Sammy arrived dressed in red jeans and a
yellow Cabo Wabo t-shirt. This is not a slight on Sammy at all, but in
he looks like a fan getting his photo taken at a DLR meet 'n greet!
* What are the chances of Dave doing some Sammy era Van Halen songs?
* Will Dave's die-hard fans be upset if he plays Sammy era Van Halen songs
on the tour but continues to omit material from his own solo career? I will be!
Dave fans: if you think Roth singing Hagar-era Van Halen songs can't happen, take
a look at the photos from the press conference and tell me if you thought you'd
ever see Dave and Sammy shaking hands in public!
* If someone asked you last year what was more likely, a Van Halen reunion with Roth or
a Dave/Sammy co-headlining a tour together, what would your answer have been? Be honest!
I would have put my money on the Van Halen reunion.
* Let's look at this as a positive sign for a Van Halen reunion. If Dave and Sammy
can tour together, surely one or both of them could tour again with Van Halen?
* If Dave and Sammy pull this tour off successfully, how *huge* would it be if they
both took it a step further and launched a tour with Van Halen?
* One of the drawbacks to a Van Halen reunion tour with Dave would have been the lack of
material from the post-1984 years. The ultimate Van Halen show would have included
both vocalists and spanned their entire multi-platinum catalog. With Dave and
Sammy now touring together, it's obvious that the only hurdle to this coming to fruition is
Edward and Alex Van Halen.
* Will you "mark out" (pro-wrestling slang for "go apeshit") if Michael Anthony jumps
on stage to jam a few songs with Dave and/or Sammy?
* I'm told the tour manager will be none other than Scotty Ross, another former
Van Halen employee.
* I bet they don't tour Australia! ;) (Old VHML joke...)
Coming very soon: a David Lee Roth lawsuit update!
[Return to Current Headlines]
Jun 22, 2001 - Notice
This space has intentionally been left blank. If you have highlighted this
text you will see that it really says nothing. The purpose of it being here
is to pad out this table cell, so that the cell on the right goes hard against
the right side of the page. Without this text, the table could end up anywhere!